I came across a post on this site saying that :

私もです

For example was not correct grammatically, and that instead, we had to use

私でもある。

I'm very confused now even though I know 私もです is used a lot, I don't know wether it's correct or not.

Saying 私でもある makes me feel like I'm writing a book or a poem because of である. And on the other hand 私もです sounds very natural and correct to me because です is basically a contraction of であります, so we could say でもあります but not something like でもす so i feel like it's obvious that も comes before です.

So to me でもある is used just like である, but with the particle も added meaning "also, too", so mostly used in writing. And もです is used like です, in everydays life just to express a simple "Me too"

But after seeing those posts saying that もです is grammatically not correct, I wondered if もである with the particle も being before である is correct.

• I think 私もです is usually short for 私も(そう)です. – istrasci May 1 '15 at 16:03
    Whoever said 私もです was ungrammatical was wrong. – snailboat May 1 '15 at 16:23
  • My teacher used to say that putting any particle before です was wrong. Then I told her about も and の and now she doesn't say that anymore. (Read: People can be wrong and following grammar "rules" is not always right.) – Eric May 1 '15 at 21:19
  • @Eric The truth is almost any particle (read postposition) before です is valid. 私もです, 私からです, 私にだけです, 私とやらまでです etc. – broccoli forest May 2 '15 at 15:57

When talking casually, 私も is extremely common and, depending on the situation, often means "me too".

I would like to see the full post you mentioned, but I'd guess that whoever wrote 私もです was just finding a polite way to say 私も. Either way, 私もですis not wrong.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.