I was talking with a Japanese girl by message and she asked me how to read my name, which is Andrea (Spanish female name). I told her it's アンドレア but that some friends call me あんちゃん because it's shorter.

Her answer was: あんちゃんおん

I didn't understand the meaning of this おん and after searching in dictionaries and so on I have no clue of how to interpret this as something you would add to a name.

Thank you in advance.

closed as off-topic by Flaw, broccoli forest, snailboat Sep 7 '15 at 17:49

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – Flaw, broccoli forest, snailboat
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

It's difficult for me even to make a reasonable guess, but by any chance she just wanted to type "あんちゃんね" or "あんちゃんの…"? – naruto Apr 29 '15 at 18:36
  • Would really want to know more context before answering. You should have asked her what it meant! Could have been a typo. Or maybe it's a new thing the kids are saying these days ;) – peacetype Apr 29 '15 at 23:06
    What was the complete message? Maybe おん was the next word in the rest of the message and there just wasn't any punctuation between them...? – snailboat May 4 '15 at 3:12
  • I guess it's just her miss typing – user10512 Jul 5 '15 at 18:09

I never heard this before, but if she is an idol perhaps it is some sort of "cute" sound she adds at the end? I hope someone else has the answer. It is very interesting.

I guess or inevitably had to escape to the speculation, my guess is the sound of your name, which you of course know without saying but can be confirmed here, your name can be heard in Japanese あんどれあ ( I am writing by Hiragana on purpose. )

This is my personal assumption, perhaps, since the last word あ could be heard as おん ( It may be able to be said the Japanese あ and お sometimes "synthesize", VERY VERY VERY PERHAPS. ).

So I am sorry to say like this, it may be a case she might have called you so in somewhat teasingly showing a friendship with you.

I can only answer just by the pure assumption, I am sorry.

Have a nice day.

• Given the line However, she didn't answer (she just faved it as seen, it was a Twitter message xD). from your answer, as well as Anyway I think she was just telling me she would call me あんちゃん because that was the reason for asking me how to read it in the first place. I have no choice but to answer like this....... – Kentaro Tomono Aug 7 '15 at 2:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.