If you need to indicate more sections in a report than five (beginning each section with 「まず」、「つぎに」、「さらに」、「そして」、「最後に」 respectively), what word(s) should you use to indicate the start of the additional sections?

Do you insert them after 「そして」 but before 「最後に」?

Hmm.. how about また? – Chocolate Apr 29 '15 at 8:00

There's no implicit order which word you should use for stacking sections. You can (basically) freely choose linking words for your additional sections.

A non-exhaustive list is:

次{つぎ}に, 更{さら}に(は), そして, それから, その上{うえ}(に), この上{うえ}(に), 加{くわ}えて, それに加{くわ}え(て), 他{ほか}に(も), また, 並{なら}びに, および, それだけでなく, のみならず etc. etc.

Variations for "firstly" and "finally" are:

まず, 初{はじ}めに, 最初{さいしょ}に, 第一{だいいち}に, etc.

and

終{お}わりに, 最後{さいご}に, おしまいに, etc.

| improve this answer | |
    Also, one of my favorites... しかも、 – peacetype Apr 29 '15 at 23:03
  • I got some weird responses a while ago for using 第一に , 第二に, ... does that look especially foreign? – virmaior Sep 8 '15 at 23:48
  • @virmaior Not foreign, but it's a bit unfriendly to use 第二に or above without notice. You should say, for example, "I have four reasons. First, ~. Second, ~. ..." – broccoli facemask - cloth Sep 9 '15 at 4:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.