Probably a silly question, but in this sentence:

仕事ができなかったら十日と待たずに解雇されるだろうと思う。

What does the と in 十日と待たずに mean? Is it the "if" と, e.g. "when/if 10 days pass, I'd get fired without hesitation?". Shouldn't it say 十日だと (with the だ added)?

Thanks for the answers.

This sentence says "(I) will be fired in no more than 10 days." (time)と待たずに is a common set phrase which literally means "without waiting for (time)".

This と is not "if" nor "then". The role of と here corresponds to the sixth entry of デジタル大辞泉's definition.

6 (数量を表す語に付き、打消しの表現を伴って)その範囲以上には出ない意を表す。…までも。「全部で一〇〇円―かからない」「一〇〇キロ―走らなかった」

• Great answer, thank you very much. Where did you find the fact that "(time)と待たずに" is a common set phrase? Google doesn't seem to be helping and none of the online dictionaries I've tried come up with any useful info. – awgaya Apr 28 '15 at 19:21
    Ah, I thought it's common without looking at anything, but BCCWJ Corpus returned only 2 results which were exactly the same. A similar phrase とかからず returned 8 results. Another common way is to use も instead of と (10日も待たずに). – naruto Apr 29 '15 at 2:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.