Can someone tell me why there is て in between 休ませ and ください?

The sentence is: 今日は仕事を休ませてください。

I know I have conjugated the verb 休む in the causative form but didn't get why the て is used after it. Is it the te form? Or some other grammatical element? Thank you.

Polite requests are made in the form of ~てください. 手紙を書いて下さい。りんごを食べて下さい。 Take 休む, make it 休ませる, and then just follow the rules for polite requests and make it 休ませてください.

• So, you just added てください right? After making it causative, nothing much right? Or is 休ませて different and ください is different. – moefetish Apr 27 '15 at 9:20

Yes, this is just the causative form + ~てください.

休む → 休ませる → 休ませて → 休ませてください

今日は仕事を休ませてください → Please allow me to stay home (and rest) from work today.

• Thank you, how did you get 休ませて? Did you use the te to make it continuous? Or is te a part of てください? – moefetish Apr 27 '15 at 9:17
  • 休ませて is just the 〜て form of 休ませる. Am I understanding your question correctly? – istrasci Apr 27 '15 at 16:29
  • Ah yes, I mistyped there. Sorry about that, I wanted to know whether it is the te form or not. So it is. – moefetish Apr 28 '15 at 3:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.