If て form is used alone what can it mean? from what I've found on my own it can be a request similar to てください as well as a direct command, but are there other ways to use it alone besides to link two verbs together? The reason I ask this is I saw the phrase "おそくなって すみません". I know It says sorry I'm late due to the fact that おそくなって is the て form of to be late but I'm confused as to why the て form was used here.

Sorry if the answer is obvious here and thank you for any assistance

• Adding on this comment, how does the て form work with ばかりin a sentence like 彼女は一日中泣いてばかりだ? – Joe Apr 22 '15 at 19:38

In this case, the 〜て form is just acting as "and" to connect separate clauses.

• 昨日、買い物にいって、たこ焼きを食べて、[阪神]{はん・しん}タイガースの試合をみました。 → Yesterday I went shopping, (and) ate takoyaki, and watched the Tigers game.
  • おそくなってすみません。 → I was late (and) I'm sorry.
  • So then て form can be used as another type of and? similar to the と particle but used with verbs and it can connect other things besides just two verbs together? – Nate Apr 22 '15 at 18:41
  • Refer to this post: The many ways to say “and” in Japanese. – istrasci Apr 22 '15 at 18:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.