I was trying to describe a list of objects from a more generic point of view to a more specific one. While at the generic level I feel quite sure, using for example.

みなりのポケットの中には、ボールペンを二本あります。
There are two pens in the dress' pocket.

When trying to be more specific describing those pens I feel like I'm missing something (probably grammar). I would say something like:

一本は赤いです、一方は青いです。
One is red and the other is blue.

Is that correct/natural? Are there other (better) ways to express the same concept?

みなりのポケットの中には、ボールペンを二本あります。
There are two pens in the dress' pocket.

[身]{み}なり refers to how you are dressed, your appearance, etc. Use ドレス for dress as in long dress or wedding dress, 服 or 洋服 for general clothes. を is used to indicate an object; use the subject particle が since the ボールペン is the subject of あります. あります would be fine but 入っています would be more natural. I would go with:

ドレス/[服]{ふく}のポケットには、ボールペンが二本[入]{はい}っています。

一本は赤いです、一方は青いです。
One is red and the other is blue.

Your translation makes sense but to be grammatically correct, you would say

一本は赤で、もう一本は青です。
or 一本は赤色で、もう一本は青色です。

「赤で」「青です」「赤色で」「青色です」 are like saying "(pens) of red/blue colour", rather than describing how the pens look.

• Thank you! Just for clarity, with 入っています do you describe the fact that the pocket contains the pens? So should I use it every time I want to describe the content of something? – mandrake Apr 24 '15 at 8:13
  • I am not sure it's "every time" but yes you basically use 入っています to say "something is in a pocket, box, bag, etc." "someone is in a club", "some ingredient is in food, drink" etc. – user5185 Apr 24 '15 at 9:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.