I would like to know about these two 収入, 給料 (there may be even others I am not aware of). Can they be interchanged as one pleases, or does it very much depend on the context?

Which is more colloquial, which is more formal?

給料 means salary, 収入 means income. Salary and Income does mean the same thing so your problem is fixed. – oldergod Apr 22 '15 at 5:20
  • They say 「給料」「給与」「収入」「所得」 are all different. kakeibot.doorblog.jp/archives/37164111.html – user5185 Apr 22 '15 at 5:41
    And it helps to think about what it means for a company: income is what they get and salaries what they pay. – blutorange Apr 22 '15 at 7:07
  • @oldergod As blutorange said, they are different. You can say 家庭の収入 or 国の収入 but you cannot say 家庭の給料 nor 国の給料. – marasai Apr 22 '15 at 17:13
    @oldergod Yes. You can have income from lots of things besides salary. For example, you can have hourly income, or an inheritance, or you can sell stock options, etc. None of those are salary, but all of those are income. – snailplane Apr 28 '15 at 14:51

As one of the commenters said 給料 means salary, 収入 means income. In terms of remuneration for a job performed at work these are equivalent. Typically people use 給料 to refer to salary (though also 年収 to refer to yearly salary)

収入 can also refer to income (gross) of a company (one certainly wouldn't use 給料 to refer to sales figures)

| improve this answer | |

As someone else pointed out in the comment, this explains the differences: http://kakeibot.doorblog.jp/archives/37164111.html.

Basically, 「収入」is the amount of money you receive from your company before you subtract taxes and health assurance fees. 「給与」(not 「給料」) on the other hand, is that same amount of money that is given to you by the company (as 与 suggests), so only the point of view changes.

「給料」is one part (the basic fixed income) of the total 「給与」, as 「給与」 contains extras and bonuses.

| improve this answer | |
    This is wrong. 収入 does not refer to gross salary – paullb Apr 23 '15 at 6:00
  • I will blame that on my source... it states exactly that – Lake Apr 23 '15 at 6:50
  • @paullb This is not wrong: for example, from national tax agency's site: 収入金額(源泉徴収される前の金額). But it is also true that, in every day usage, "収入" simply means income. Lake's answer is valid in contexts regarding tax, so even if it isn't the best answer for the question, it doesn't seem to be wrong. – Yosh Apr 26 '15 at 9:18
  • @Yosh The tax form refers to 収入 as income and not salary. Look at the examples given. – paullb Apr 28 '15 at 1:26
  • How about "gross income"? – Lake Apr 29 '15 at 3:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.