I always use this in English to excuse myself from a planned meeting/meet up (professional or personal). Basically, I don't want to bother the interlocutor with the details and notify them I am busy.

I am not happy with what I can currently produce:

• 新しい予定があります
  • いけなくなりました

Could you suggest more natural ways and idiomatic ways to express the same idea?

• 急事ができました also works. – oldergod Apr 22 '15 at 2:36
  • @oldergod You mean [急用]{きゅうよう}, not [急事]{きゅうじ}, right? – user5185 Apr 22 '15 at 4:54
  • @user5185 dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/54991/m0u – oldergod Apr 22 '15 at 5:19
  • @oldergod I know it's in a dictionary. Are you saying 急事 is more common than 急用? Do you think きゅうじができました would be understood as 急(な用)事ができました in daily conversation? – user5185 Apr 22 '15 at 5:32
  • I don't really know about this. 急事 is something someone taught me when I asked the question the OP is asking to a coworker few years ago. To tell you the truth, because the kanji do not come up right away when typing, I think it's rather rarely used. I also used it in an email so I don't know if it is really used in speaking. For daily conversation, Electeur's answer is good. – oldergod Apr 22 '15 at 5:47

More natural expressions would include:

「ちょっと[用事]{ようじ}(or 用)ができてしまって。」

「[急]{きゅう}に[予定]{よてい}が[入]{はい}ってしまって。」

It would be nice to say 「すみません(が)」 or 「ごめんなさい」 at the beginning.

Informally, one could replace 「てしまって」 with 「ちゃって」. In business settings, I recommend the former.

The ambiguous 「って/て」 ending is very common with these little expressions.

| improve this answer | |
  • Or even a 「申し訳ございません」 if the meeting is with a client / boss. – The Wandering Coder Apr 22 '15 at 1:44
    (I'm aware I'm nitpicking, but...) wouldn't 「てしまいまして」 be more appropriate for most business situations? – Darius Jahandarie Apr 22 '15 at 2:07

You can also be a bit more vague with the

いろいろあって、参加できなくなってしまいました。

and add the appropriate amount of apologies.

いろいろ tends to imply something that you don't really want to talk about so you almost certainly won't be asked.

| improve this answer | |
    This should be あって, not 合って. – dinogeist Apr 23 '15 at 7:45
  • @dinogeist Quite right. Sorry about that. – paullb Apr 27 '15 at 7:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.