I'm trying to do some picture descriptions to practice my Japanese (which is quite at a beginner level), just to avoid to focus only on grammar and 漢字 memorization, which can become really boring sometimes.

So my question is, how could I express something like This picture is about xxx or In this picture, (you can see/there is) xxx in Japanese?

My attempt at this is

このしゃしんの中に、xxxいます。

(xxx = the main object in the photo)

Any comment or suggestion about this?

I was looking for easy sentence patterns. I don't aim at building complex discourses, I'm just trying to keep the level slightly higher with respect to what I can achieve without consulting a dictionary or grammar.

• Would you actually say "This picture is about xxx" or "In this picture, (you can see/there is) xxx" in English?" – l'électeur Apr 22 '15 at 1:43
  • Actually my original question did not have those examples, but was more vague. I was more thinking about "this photo shows xxx" or "in this photo, you can see xxx". I don't know if these are correct either but they seem more natural to me. – mandrake Apr 22 '15 at 6:37

This picture is about xxx.

You would say 「この[写真]{しゃしん}はxxxです。」 Alternatively you could say it 「これは、xxxの[写真]{しゃしん}です。」 (Literally 'This is a photo of xxx').

In this picture, (you can see/there is) xxx.

「この写真には、xxxが[写]{うつ}っています。」

• So you mean there is no natural way to tell what's in a photo other than saying "this is a photo of a/an xxx"? – mandrake Apr 21 '15 at 19:24
  • @mandrake Edited. 「この写真はxxxです」 and 「この写真には、xxxが写っています。」 are the most natural ways that I can think of to directly say "This picture is about xxx" and "In this picture, (you can see/there is) xxx" respectively. – user5185 Apr 22 '15 at 4:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.