It is highlighted in the bold part of the below sentence.

さいきんじゃドヤ街【がい】のがきらをぞろぞろひきつれてそのへんばあねり歩【ある】いてよ。

「ばあ」 is a colloquial contraction for 「をば」. It is sometimes used in fiction, children's stories, etc. to show that the speaker is an older person.

In meaning and nuance, 「ばあ」=「をば」= an emphatic 「を」

https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%82%92%E3%81%B0-666115#E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.9E.97.20.E7.AC.AC.E4.B8.89.E7.89.88

「そのへんばあねり歩いてよ」= "(someone) often walks around there"

• I assume this is geographical variation? Where is this more common? – Sjiveru Apr 20 '15 at 22:56
  • FYI, I've never actually heard any Japanese actually speak such an archaic dialect. I'm in my 30s and from Shizuoka (80 km west of Tokyo) – nodakai Mar 19 '16 at 17:21

They use ば for the objective particle を in Kyushu dialect.

そのへんばあねり歩いて= そんへんばねり歩いて = そのへんをねり歩あるいて

The use of “ば” and “ば(あ)” like:

その[辺]{へん}ば(あ)[練]{ね}り歩く - strut around over there
冗談ば(あ)[止]{や}めちょくれ。 - Stop joking.
そげんこつば(あ)言いよって。[拳骨]{げんこつ}ば(あ)食らわすぞ。 - How can you dare to say that to me? I’ll give you a punch.

is often observed in the north-western part (Fukuoka, Saga, and Nagasaki Prefectures) of Kyushu. It depends on the person and the situation whether you pronounce it "ば,” or drawl like "ばあ”.

It substitutes for “…は” or “…を”. Therefore “そげんこつば(あ)言いよってからに” means “そのようなことを言うなんて,” “冗談ば(あ)止めちょくれ” means “冗談を言わないでください.”

I’m from Oita Prefecture, Kyushu. We don’t use “ば” in such a way in Ohita. I don’t think people in the middle and southern part of Kyushu have such a colloquial idiosyncrasy, I mean, the use of “ば(あ)” in such a way.

• 「knock ~~'s socks off」って、辞書に「ゲンコツを食らわす」とは載ってないんですけど・・・「びっくりさせる」「驚嘆させる」とか書いてあります・・・「拳骨ば食らわすぞ」って、「殴るぞ」ってことですよね・・・? – Chocolate Mar 20 '16 at 9:13
  • アメリカの英語の母国語のものです。表現の一番普段の使い方は「びっくりさせる」と思いますが、「殴るぞ」という意味も可能と思います。「knuckle sandwich」は多分もっと近いでしょうか。 – virmaior Mar 20 '16 at 9:41
  • @chocolate. As vimajor says, I understand "knock sb's socks off" has the meaning of "give a punch" as a slangish expression aside "get sb surprised / excited." I rephrased the line to avoid confusion. – Yoichi Oishi Mar 20 '16 at 11:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.