I'm confused about how to use two words おかず and 食べ物, which all defined "food" as I search. What's the differences about them? Really thank you if you give me some examples.

There is a clear difference between the two. (I feel for you because I have seen 「おかず」 defined wrongly in smaller bilingual dictionaries.)

「[食]{た}べ[物]{もの}」 refers to any and all kinds of food; It just includes everything people eat. Anything edible is called 「食べ物」.

「おかず」 is different. It is what you eat with rice (or bread) in a meal. It refers to the entree and all of the side dishes. Rice, bread, snacks and desserts are not called 「おかず」 among Japanese-speakers.

This should give you a good idea of what おかず is:

http://image.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=&p=%E3%81%8A%E3%81%8B%E3%81%9A

• Err, thanks should go to l'electuer! I just added an -ly to an otherwise grammatically perfect answer. – virmaior Apr 19 '15 at 15:12

I think おかず refers to side dishes accompanied with rice, while 食べ物 refers to 'food' in general.

When Japanese or Chinese eat meals at home, there's usually a bowl of rice per person and several dishes (e.g. fish, meat, vegetable) in the middle. Those dishes are called おかず.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.