I was wondering if there is a difference if you add that ん. Is the first one correct and the second one not?

男じゃないんですか?

男じゃないですか?

• But in this case ん is not a statement, is a question, I was asking if the way of asking needs that ん. This question neither is なんですか? or んです。 – Jaime Apr 18 '15 at 13:19
  • I'm sorry if I changed the intention of your question. But let me try to explain why I thought these questions are similar: The general pattern is sentence+の/ん+copula+か. If the sentence ends on the copula だ, it becomes な, giving なのか or なのですか/なんですか. If it ends on the negated copula じゃない, you get じゃないのか or じゃないのですか/じゃないんですか. As I understood it, the question was about the presence of ん/の, not the negated phrase before it. – blutorange Apr 18 '15 at 17:05
  • 一例ですが、「あれ?もしかして、あの人、男じゃないですか?」って言うとき(今気づいた時など)に、「男じゃないですか?」って言うと思います。誰かが「あの女の人は~~~。」とか言ったことに対して「えっ?あの人は、男じゃないんですか?(男ですよね!?)」 って言うときには「男じゃないんですか?」って言うと思います。 – Chocolate Apr 19 '15 at 5:09
    厳密に言えば、両文とも、イントネーションによって意味やニュアンスが変わるような気がしますが、発音の説明はしにくいので、今回はパスで・・ 真面目に考えていると気が変になりそうなタイプの質問です。 – l'électeur Apr 19 '15 at 13:13

I think the difference is how long you assumed that the person is a man. 「男じゃないですか?」 implies that you've been assuming that the person is a man for some time. On the other hand, 「男じゃないですか?」 implies that you have just realized that the person is a man (though, it depends on the emphasis. You would put the emphasis on the word 「ない」 in this case).

• This use of ん applies for every negative question with ない, right? – Jaime Apr 19 '15 at 16:20
    Yes, I believe so (at least I can't think of a counterexample off the top of my head). I might also add that ないんですか? is an informal version of ないのですか?. – NigoroJr Apr 19 '15 at 17:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.