I was wondering if there is a difference if you add that ん. Is the first one correct and the second one not?

男じゃないんですか?

男じゃないですか?

• But in this case ん is not a statement, is a question, I was asking if the way of asking needs that ん. This question neither is なんですか? or んです。
    – Jaume
    Apr 18, 2015 at 13:19
  • I'm sorry if I changed the intention of your question. But let me try to explain why I thought these questions are similar: The general pattern is sentence+の/ん+copula+か. If the sentence ends on the copula だ, it becomes な, giving なのか or なのですか/なんですか. If it ends on the negated copula じゃない, you get じゃないのか or じゃないのですか/じゃないんですか. As I understood it, the question was about the presence of ん/の, not the negated phrase before it.
    – blutorange
    Apr 18, 2015 at 17:05
  • 一例ですが、「あれ?もしかして、あの人、男じゃないですか?」って言うとき(今気づいた時など)に、「男じゃないですか?」って言うと思います。誰かが「あの女の人は~~~。」とか言ったことに対して「えっ?あの人は、男じゃないんですか?(男ですよね!?)」 って言うときには「男じゃないんですか?」って言うと思います。
    – chocolate
    Apr 19, 2015 at 5:09
    厳密に言えば、両文とも、イントネーションによって意味やニュアンスが変わるような気がしますが、発音の説明はしにくいので、今回はパスで・・ 真面目に考えていると気が変になりそうなタイプの質問です。
    – user4032
    Apr 19, 2015 at 13:13

1 Answer 1

I think the difference is how long you assumed that the person is a man. 「男じゃないですか?」 implies that you've been assuming that the person is a man for some time. On the other hand, 「男じゃないですか?」 implies that you have just realized that the person is a man (though, it depends on the emphasis. You would put the emphasis on the word 「ない」 in this case).

• This use of ん applies for every negative question with ない, right?
    – Jaume
    Apr 19, 2015 at 16:20
    Yes, I believe so (at least I can't think of a counterexample off the top of my head). I might also add that ないんですか? is an informal version of ないのですか?.
    – NigoroJr
    Apr 19, 2015 at 17:11

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .