Trying to make sense of this sentence:

自分は死ぬ前に一目{ひとめ}思う女に逢{あ}いたいと云った。

Daijirin lists 一目 as a noun. However, it doesn't connect with 思う according to normal rules (there is no particle). To connect with 思う or 逢う, it must be an adverb. As it came before 思う, I thought the whole sentence to mean:

I explained that before I died, I'd like to see to see a woman with whom I fell in love at first sight. // who I knew only through a glance etc

However, the actual translation goes:

I explained that before I died, if only for a moment, I wanted to see the woman I loved.

Clearly, this interprets 一目 as an adverb that applies to 逢う (tai).

In other words, I have 2 questions:

1) is 一目 really an adverb?

2) how does it work in this sentence, grammar-wise?

3) if it's a set phrase I'm fine with no explanation other than "it just works", I'd just like to make sure what's happening here

• Where/which version of the Daijirin did you use? The one here does not mention the word category, nor does the Koujien 6th version. Other dictionaries list it as a noun, but only list examples where it is used that way (eg. 一目で偽物だと分かる). Did you look up under ひとめ? The Daijirin accessible at excite.co.jp lists いちもく as a noun. – blutorange Apr 17 '15 at 12:34
  • I stand corrected, the "noun" part I mistakenly quoted from Daijirin's entry for いちもく. The question still stands though. What is 一目? – user9771 Apr 17 '15 at 12:36

「[自分]{じぶん}は[死]{し}ぬ[前]{まえ}に[一目思]{ひとめおもう}う[女]{おんな}に[逢]{あ}いたいと[云]{い}った。」

The part that you are misreading is 「一目思う女に逢いたい」, which can be rephrased as 「思う女に一目逢いたい」.

「一目」 modifies「逢いたい」, and not 「思う」. In fact, it is impossible to "一目思う a person" in the first place; It just makes no sense.

「一目会いたい」 is a common set phrase meaning "to want to see someone even for one second".

Thus, the translation "I explained that before I died, if only for a moment, I wanted to see the woman I loved." is a very accurate one.

is 一目 really an adverb?

No, it is a noun, strictly speaking, but it can function adverbially because it expresses a frequency. 「一目会いたい」 is as correct as 「2[回見]{かいみ}た」、「3[度行]{どい}った」, etc.

how does it work in this sentence, grammar-wise?

As I said above, 「一目」 just modifies 「逢いたい」. The fact it had another word (思う) in between seems to have confused you.

if it's a set phrase I'm fine with no explanation other than "it just works", I'd just like to make sure what's happening here

It is a set phrase but it would take a lot of experience to spot it. I assume. Your careful approach to comprehension is pretty impressive.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.