I've come upon a couple of phrases in Doraemon I quite don't understand.

The first is said by Nobita's mother, trying to calm Nobita down after finding him freaked out by his first encounter with Doraemon.

She says:

よけいな心配しないで、のびのびと育ってね。

I don't quite get the て form at the end. Shouldn't it be 育った (you were raised)? Also, I wonder if that is a quotation と?

The second is a bit further on, when Nobita is trying to convince himself that there's nothing to worry about after Doraemon's prediction that he would be hanged in 30 minutes time. He says:

つりたくない者が、つるわけない。

Would it be something like Even though I don't want to hang, there's no reason to think I will.?

Image of both pages:

• Two problems in as many lines. (1) Does it say 「のびたのびと」? Makes no sense unless the mom is making a pun. (2) Does it really say 「物」?
    – user4032
    Apr 15, 2015 at 14:15
  • (1) I think it does (2) Sorry, that was a typo, it says 者 I'll link both pages on the original post.
    – Daniel
    Apr 15, 2015 at 14:27
  • (1) It does not; Please read carefully. I would not have asked if what you wrote were the correct word.
    – user4032
    Apr 15, 2015 at 14:32
  • Sorry about that, corrected it. Now I have another question... is that a quotation と?
    – Daniel
    Apr 15, 2015 at 14:40

1 Answer 1

よけいな心配しないで、のびのびと育ってね。

て form at the end of a sentence serves as a command form. The と is a case particle, のびのび is a mimetic word and adverb. The と can be left off.

つりたくない者が、つるわけない。

Anyone who doesn't want to hang himself, can't possibly hang himself.

• So she commands him to not worry and grow up carefree? Also, what does と exactly mark in that sentence, even though its not necessary?
    – Daniel
    Apr 16, 2015 at 7:33
  • She's saying "I want you to grow up carefree/freely". Both のびのび育つ and のびのびと育つ are possible. For the usage of と see definition 5 in dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/154670/m0u/%E3%81%A8 (副詞に付いて新たな副詞をつくり)ある状態を説明する意を表す。(The と is added to an adverb to form another adverb describing a state/condition.)
    – Micky
    Apr 16, 2015 at 8:18
  • I'm afraid my level of Japanese doesn't allow me to understand a monolingual dictionary, but well, if the と particle isn't necessary in that situation, I won't fret over it. Thanks for the answer.
    – Daniel
    Apr 16, 2015 at 9:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .