In the newspaper article titled 山中ら、予備検診で異常なし…WBCバンタム級, what meaning is created by placing "ら" after "山中"?

Does it make "山中慎介" plural, and then "山中ら" means something like "Yamanaka and his hangers-on".

Maybe, "Clintonら" means "Hillary Clinton and her senior campaign staff"?

Since you didn't just write "yes", then I am not sure I understand. So, I can take a person's name, add "ら", then there is a vague range of people included in the newly created group? Please translate that title into english so I understand. – red shoe Apr 13 '15 at 13:04
  • Afraid it is not a simple yes with "Yamanaka and his hangers-on". Wrote an answer. – l'électeur Apr 13 '15 at 13:44

「ら」 is a plural suffix.

In this case, 「山中ら」 just means "Yamanaka and his opponent", not "Yamanaka and his hangers-on". The hangers-on do not need to take a preliminary physical before a boxing match.

"Yamanaka and his opponent pass their preliminary physical."

• The title is not "ディエゴ・サンティリャンら、予備検診で..." because (1) Diego is the challenger? (2) as yomiuri is a Japanese newspaper, reader focus is on the Japanese fighter? (3) simply, "ディエゴ・サンティリャンら、..." makes for an unwieldy title? – red shoe Apr 13 '15 at 15:08
    I'd say 2 is the primary reason. Just like when talking about a local team's game, we don't mention the opponent (in LA, we'd say the Dodger's game and not say, the Yankee's game). Plus, it's more likely Japanese people would be more familiar with the Japanese boxer, making it a natural choice as a title. – Jimmy Apr 13 '15 at 17:52
  • Also because newspaper headlines must be short. – Avery Apr 13 '15 at 22:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.