I was reading about the て form and trying to understand it, then I came across some sentences using て form and a question came into my mind:

What changes if instead of using the て form for all verbs and adjectives, と/や are used?

Example:

日本語クラスは簡単で面白くて楽しい。

Couldn't it be rewritten like this?

日本語クラスは簡単なと面白いと楽しい。

Or are と/や used only for "things", while the て form is used for words?

Also, I read that て form is used to connect the contents of the sentence. But in the example I rewrote above, isn't it clearly connected?

と -in the sense of A and B- and や can only be used to connect nouns or noun-phrases, but they cannot be used to connect adjectives and verbs.

Therefore this sentence would be wrong:

x 日本語クラスは簡単なと面白いと楽しい。

But you can say this:

○ 日本語クラスといえば、「簡単な」と「面白い」と「楽しい」という言葉を思い出す。

Regarding Japanese classes, I think of [the words] "easy/simple" and "interesting" and "fun".

Here the words are only mentionted, effectively they become the noun the word X.

The te-form can be used to join sentences, phrases or verbs/adjectives. For illustration, another example with the te-form:

早起きして体操をした

本を読んで感想を書く

Note that the te-form has got a few other usages as well, such as implying a causal relationship:

金が無くて行かれない

Finally, it should be mentioned that と can be used with verbs as well, but that is a different usage and coonects phrases, but not nouns:

電気を消すと暗くなる。 (If/When lights are turned off, it gets dark.)

家に帰ると手紙が来ていた. (There was a letter waiting for me when I got home.)

どうして節電しないといけないの? (Why do [I/we] need to save electricity?)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.