What is the difference between 光る{ひかる}, 輝く{かがやく}, and 光り{ひかり}輝く{かがやく}? According to my dictionary, they all mean "to shine" or "to be bright", but I'm sure they aren't always interchangeable. Looking at example sentences, it seems that the sun, moon, a star, and a diamond can both 光る and 輝く, but eyes mostly 輝く. I can't figure out anything based on that, though, and I'm not even sure if it's correct.

Something that 光る is something that emits/reflects light. The sun. A star. A flashlight. An LED.

輝く is to shimmer/sparkle. The sun reflecting off a lake's waves does 輝く. A diamond reflecting light does this.

As for 光り輝く, it's the same thing as 輝く.

And as someone else here said, if you just want to compare words to get a nuanced meaning of the word, a google image search is always a great thing to use.

ハゲ頭 doesn't emit light but 光る. – Micky Apr 16 '15 at 7:19
    Apologies - I thought "items that emit light" was a superset of "items that reflect light." I'll edit my answer. – Kyle Apr 16 '15 at 23:53
  • Is there anything that can 輝く but can't 光る? – Blavius Apr 20 '15 at 22:58

輝く is more of a sparkle/shine, instead of just a plain shine. Shimmer maybe? And 光る as to give off light. This might be the only time in the history of the community that a Google Image Search of 輝く versus 光る will explain this better than a dictionary answer.

• @Blavius to give off light sparklingly – Flaw Apr 16 '15 at 9:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.