I've looked around, but I couldn't find an answer for this question. Here's the example phrase that I'm trying to translate that I pulled from a light novel:

せりとレタスとキャベツの違い

I'm not sure whether it means. My guess is either:

the difference of parsley, lettuce, and cabbage

or:

parsley, lettuce, and cabbage's difference (difference modifies cabbage only)

Logically, it should be the second, but I seem to recall that it can mean the first if you reason out the literal translation.

How else would you say "The difference of parsley, lettuce, and cabbage" in Japanese?
    – user9778
    Apr 9, 2015 at 6:08
  • Use the list as before, end with the wa particle, and a verb for difference between, Right, I'll add that I pulled this from a light novel and that I'm trying to translate it properly.
    – MingShun
    Apr 9, 2015 at 6:11
    Do you mean「せりとレタスとキャベツは違う」? It'd be a sentence "Parsley, lettuce, and cabbage are different." 「せりとレタスとキャベツの違い」is a noun phrase, not a sentence.
    – user9778
    Apr 9, 2015 at 9:02

2 Answers 2

Recently, @naruto mentioned the phrase 頭が赤い魚を食べた猫, which can be understood in many ways. There is some ambiguity in how each word relates to each other.

Among other possibilities, it could mean

• [(頭が赤い)魚]を食べた猫 (red-headed fish)
  • [(頭が赤い)+(魚を食べた)]猫 (red-headed cat)

The same applies here. Consider the following pattern:

AとBとCのD

As far as logic and grammar is concerned, this can be interpreted as either one of these possibilities:

1. (AとBとC)のD
  2. (AとB)と(CのD)
  3. Aと[(BとC)のD]

Note that A, B, C, and D can be nouns or noun phrases. If the latter, it could get even more confusing, so I won't consider this case.

Usually context resolves the ambiguity and makes it obvious. For the example you gave, that would be possibility (3): the difference between certain kinds of vegetables.

To illustrate the point, let me give some examples for each possibility.

(《》 markers added by me for clarity)

①:

• 《せりとレタスとキャベツ》の違い
  • 《ブランデーと梅酒と柑橘【かんきつ】ジャム》の大人[珈琲]【コーヒー】
  • garden COLORING BOOK 《小鳥と花と動物》のぬり絵
  • 《君と彼女と彼女》の恋

②:

• 勇者と少女と《変化の指輪》
  • 「使命」と「運命」と「人生の意味」
  • 僕と君と《夜空の星》
  • 星杯騎士団【グラールリッター】と七耀教会【しちようきょうかい】と《黒【くろ】の史書【ししょ】》
  • コナンと平次【へいじ】と《恋の暗号》

③:

Note the first sentence.

• [ポスドク]【postdoctor(al)】問題と《アメリカと日本の違い》
  • 下妻物語【しもつまものがたり】と《ウルルと森の物語》
  • 竹取物語【たけとりものがたり】と《伊邪那岐命【いざなぎのみこと】の伊邪那美命【いざなみのみこと】の物語》
  • 《伊邪那岐命【イザナギノミコト】と伊邪那美命【イザナミノミコト】の夫婦神》と《伊邪那岐命と伊邪那美命の争いを仲裁した菊理媛大神【ククリヒメノオオカミ】》が祀られている
  • 和風レシピと《梅酒と梅干しの作り方》

I had a hard time coming up with examples for case ③, but it's definitely possible.

To summarize, only context and common sense can tell you what の applies to, it depends on what the nouns or noun phrases A, B, C, and D are.

Lastly, if you really wanted to leave no ambiguity, you could resort to a lengthy phrase that says it explicitly, such as せりとレタスとキャベツという3つの(野菜・植物)の違い.

You usually say AとBの違い to mean "the difference between A and B" and AとBとCの違い to mean "the difference among A, B and C", and I think it would be more natural to interpret せりとレタスとキャベツの違い as "the difference of parsley, lettuce, and cabbage" than "parsley, lettuce and the difference of cabbage".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .