In the light novel that I'm reading, the protagonist says

「人の趣味に文句つけるなよ!」

After performing the research, I've finally worked out this translation,

"Don't complain about a person's hobby!"

Unfortunately, it relies on 文句 being a direct object...possibly. I couldn't find any examples for translating 文句をつける without breaking the phrase apart.

Here are some of the examples that I found when を was included. (src: http://www.mahou.org/Kanji/3667/?example)

彼は何でも僕のすることに文句をつける。 He finds faults with everything I do. [M]

彼はいつもあれこれと文句をつける。 He is always complaining of this and that.

I'd like to know if the を particle is missing because it's a casual conversation. Or does the above-listed phrase have a different meaning altogether?

• Your intuit on casual conversation is discussed here. – Louis Apr 8 '15 at 4:23
  • Ah, it looks like this is answered at the very end in one of the answers. The question was mainly about something slightly different, so I hadn't read it through. I'm still a bit confused over whether this can happen in story writing but I guess I can make the supposition that if Osaka dialect is sometimes portrayed, why not a realistic everyday conversation? – MingShun Apr 8 '15 at 4:33
  • If it's authentic to the character, perhaps it's better for the author to forget about the rules. – Louis Apr 8 '15 at 4:39
    The question is why cannot we drop the を in 気をつける ? – oldergod Apr 8 '15 at 8:21
    Well, you can: 気つけろ気ぃつけろ気ィつけろ etc. – snailboat Apr 8 '15 at 16:30

That kind of を drops quite often in casual conversation; you say

文句つけるな (文句をつけるな)
文句言うな (文句を言うな)
ケチつけるな(ケチをつけるな)
ケーキ全部食べちゃった。(ケーキを全部食べてしまった。)
うどん買っといて。(うどんを買っておいて。)
宿題やんなさい!(宿題をやりなさい。)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.