I was wondering if there is any ambiguity with sentences that have adjectives qualifying a noun, especially regarding the が particle.

For example:

1.) 僕が好きな人

Can this sentences have an ambiguous double meaning of "The person that I like" and "The person that likes me"?

Likewise

2.) 僕が食べたい魚

Can this mean either "fish I want to eat" or "fish that wants to eat me"?

to make the meaning of this sentence clearer would

3.)僕を食べたい魚-

ONLY mean "fish that want to eat me" as the only interpretation?

Is there a go to interpretation for qualifications like this or does one have to identify exclusively via context unless there are further details provided?

For example, more detailed, clearcut sentences

4.) 僕が好きなところ - This sentence would ONLY mean "The place that I like/My Favorite place"

or

5.) 野菜を食べるのが好きな人 - In this sentence the only interpretation could be "People that like eating vegetables"

Thanks

• yes, it could mean both, it depends on the context. for example 2, there must be a context around it. yes for 3-4-5 – WKx Apr 7 '15 at 5:54
  • For 3,4,5, yes as in those have just one interpretation? – mattb Apr 7 '15 at 6:07
  • only 1 interpretation. sorry for short answer, someone with more time may explain better. – WKx Apr 7 '15 at 7:38
    This is not for learners, but if you feel like staring into the abyss, see 頭が赤い魚を食べた猫, which can be interpreted in five ways. – naruto Apr 7 '15 at 8:03

1.) [僕]{ぼく}が[好]{す}きな[人]{ひと}

Can this sentences have an ambiguous double meaning of "The person that I like" and "The person that likes me"?

First, that is not a sentence; It is only a noun phrase (or a relative clause). "The person that I like." is not a sentence in English, either.

The answer is affirmative. It can mean both, but to mean "The person that likes me.", it is more natural to say 「僕のことが好きな人」.

2.) 僕が[食]{た}べたい[魚]{さかな}

Can this mean either "fish I want to eat" or "fish that wants to eat me"?

Strictly speaking, no. It can only mean "the fish that I want to eat".

In Japanese, we DO NOT say 「~~たい」 to talk about a third party's desire (in this case, the fish). We say 「食べたがっている」. This is a common mistake among J-learners.

「僕(のこと)を食べたがっている魚」 = "The fish that wants to eat me"

See here for details: Aren't がる and たがる the same thing?

to make the meaning of this sentence clearer would

3.)僕を食べたい魚-

ONLY mean "fish that want to eat me" as the only interpretation?

It is missing 「たがる」 as I mentioned above. You need to use it to talk about the fish' desire.

Is there a go to interpretation for qualifications like this or does one have to identify exclusively via context unless there are further details provided?

Depends on the phrase. As I stated, 「僕が食べたい魚」 can only mean "the fish I want to eat" with or without further context, but the phrase would be ambiguous if one did not know about たい vs. たがる.

Context is important as Japanese is a most contextual language, but your own knowledge of the grammar and such is equally important.

• 僕が食べたい魚 for "fish that want to eat me" is not entirely impossible in narratives though it's still uncommon. I personally mind excessive use of たがる. – user4092 Apr 7 '15 at 8:41
  • you are giving wrong advices... for 2. strictly speaking YES, it can mean both, I mean grammatically(of course it makes no sense, a fish eating a human). Also maybe you might have seen grammar book that say you have to use たがる, but we actually use this kind of sentence (with たい) all the time ! example : ビールが飲みたい人, 真実が知りたいあなた... Actually japanese just use たい more often than たがる in conversation language – WKx Apr 8 '15 at 14:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.