How exactly would I say that a certain object is a certain length. Would it just be

(noun)の 長さは (number) (units)。

This question got me wondering how I would say any other sort of measurement. Can any quantifiable quality of an object be expressed by simply

(noun)の (length/weight/frequency etc)は (number)(units)。

This way of speaking is very close to how I would say the same thing in English (The car's length is 14 feet. etc) which has me thinking this might not be the right way to say it. Any help is appreciated.

• Almost. Where is the verb (or a verb-like word)? – l'électeur Mar 30 '15 at 9:30

You can say...

(noun)の長さ・重さ・高さは(number)(unit)です。
eg.
ネクタイの長さは145センチです。
百万円の重さは100グラムです。
あべのハルカスの高さは300メートルです。

(noun)は長さ・重さ・高さ(が)(number)(unit)です。/が(number)(unit)あります。
eg.
ネクタイは長さ(が)145センチです。/長さが145センチあります。
百万円は重さ(が)100グラムです。/重さが100グラムあります。
あべのハルカスは高さ(が)300メートルです。/高さが300メートルあります。

(noun)は(number)(unit)の長さ・重さ・高さです。/の長さ・重さ・高さがあります。
eg.
ネクタイは145センチの長さです。/の長さがあります。
百万円は100グラムの重さです。/の重さがあります。
あべのハルカスは300メートルの高さです。/の高さがあります。

I feel that (noun)の「高さ・長さ」は○○○ is correct, see for example here or here or even here or this one. It is also useful to compare lengths of different things, or height of different people etc...

However, there is another way to express the same idea: (noun)は ○○○の「高さ・長さ」 [だ・です・がある」

Which would be closer obviously to "This thing is 10 meters long" rather than "The thing's length is 10 meters".

See a few examples :

富士山は3776メートルの高さがある。
 その塔は312メートルの高さだ。
  • "(noun)は「高さ・長さ」の ○○○ [だ・です・ある」" Did you really mean to say this? Your examples are not in that structure (and they are correct). – l'électeur Mar 30 '15 at 9:02
  • Oops thank you, I remodeled the pattern to add brackets and the right size of "rounds" and apparently screwed myself in the process... – Urukann Mar 31 '15 at 1:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.