I know that verb + ~ている+ 瞬間【しゅんかん】 has a similar usage to ~ている+とき, for example 目を閉じている瞬間 and 目を閉じているとき.

I want to know what is the difference between these two in general, will it change the meaning of the sentence if I use しゅんかん over とき?

• I edited the question and turned the part about +うえ into a side-question for now. Is this supposed to be a side question? Or are you uncertain when to use うえ vs. とき or しゅんかん? If it is not a side question, feel free to edit the question or leave a comment. If it is a side question, I think it would be better to ask this as a separate question. – blutorange Mar 29 '15 at 11:41
  • Yup it was supposed to be a side question but I was hoping for an answer that would tell me the difference between these three patterns. – Johji Mar 29 '15 at 13:46
    Sorry I need to ask again, but verb+うえ is a bit different in meaning compated to しゅんかん and とき. If you don't know the difference between うえ and the other two, that's fine and then it's not a side question ;) – blutorange Mar 29 '15 at 15:09
  • Yeah , I don't really know the pattern っている+うえ, I just had the feeling that it is somehow related to ってる+とき. – Johji Mar 29 '15 at 15:19
    As you've accepted the answer, I've gone ahead and removed the side question. Please feel free to ask it as a new question. You can view the edit history here if you want to copy&paste the side question. – blutorange Mar 30 '15 at 5:30

Japanese 瞬間 always refers to a very short period of time, typically less than a second. (It can refer to a longer period of time, for example if you're talking about the history of the earth, though.)

• 目を閉じる瞬間 the very moment someone closes their eyes
  • 目を閉じている時 when someone's eyes are closed

So you cannot use 瞬間 in the following sentence:

眠るために目を閉じている時、眼球は素早く運動することがあり、これをレム睡眠と呼ぶ。

目を閉じている瞬間 is an expression we would seldom encounter. In general, the progressive form ~ている implies the situation persists over a longer period of time, and thus it doesn't go very well with 瞬間.

Only when you know the eyes will be closed for a very short period of time, you can say something like this:

まばたきのために目を閉じている瞬間を、ふだん人間は認識していない。

(I'm sorry, but your "side question" is totally irrelevant to the main question. Could you ask it separately?)

• Sorry for the confusion , I am confused myself in the first place. I just had this feeling that [verb+うえ+で] is somehow related to time. – Johji Mar 30 '15 at 4:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.