You know how Japanese people say "スタイルのいいお姉さん" to basically refer to "that girl with huge boobs" or "that really tall girl"? I've seen this get thrown around a lot but never really got the rationale behind this. My guess is that it's a euphemism but can someone give an accurate explanation of this?

• Absolutely don't know that, and wouldn't assume that's what a native or strong speaker was a eluding to. Tall? Maybe, but that comes down to a bit of prejudice that taller girls are fashionable. – kiss-o-matic Mar 27 '15 at 17:44

In Japanese, スタイルのいい女性 is a plain and straightforward phrase that means "a woman with a nice figure/body." No euphemism is involved. And it usually refers to her general appearance, not specifically to her height or breast.

大辞泉 says the primary meaning of スタイル is 姿 (figure) of a person, although it can also mean manner, fashion, format, etc. Many Japanese people simply believe that definition, and you can call it a kind of 和製英語.

I failed to find the exact explanation of when and why スタイル came to mean body figure, but I think the reason is easy to speculate. スタイル was already used in such a way at least in a novel written in 1927.

少佐がどうして彼を従卒にしたか、それは、彼がスタイルのいい、好男子であったからであった。そのおかげで彼は打たれたことはなかった。しかし、彼は、なべて男が美しい女を好くように、上官が男前だけで従卒をきめ…

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.