Here is the full sentence I have found:

あんた あれほどボクシングをきらっていたのに
どうして急に本気でやる気になったの?

Does it mean 'me'?

• Isn't it あれほど? – marasai Mar 27 '15 at 4:49
  • Yes, it is あれほど. – George Mar 27 '15 at 4:55
    I don't have time to do a full answer, but あれほど means "so much" or "to such an extent". Best I can tell, this sentence says, "Given that you used to hate boxing so much, why have you suddenly become so seriously motivated [to box]?" – Eric Mar 27 '15 at 5:08
  • I am agreeing with @Eric on this one – The Wandering Coder Mar 27 '15 at 5:37
  • I am agreeing with @TheWanderingCoder agreeing with Eric . But it is not "so much". It is "this(あれ) much(ほど)". – oldergod Mar 27 '15 at 6:25

As @Eric says,

あれほど means "so much" or "to such an extent". Best I can tell, this sentence says, "Given that you used to hate boxing so much, why have you suddenly become so seriously motivated [to box]?"

However, as @oldergod mentions, あれほど would mean close "to such an extent", or "that much" rather than "so much".

You hated boxing that much, what suddenly made you become so motivated [to box]?"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.