My guess it's a rude jargon thing (comes up a lot in anime and the like, used by male characters). What does it mean?

A: ~~ B: そういう君は~ or そういうおまえこそ~

そう言う (そういう君 = "you who are talking like this..."), そういう (that kind of thing ???), something else?

A common expression like 「そういう + Person + (こそ)」 has a few different meanings. What the 「そういう」 part refers to depends entirely on the context.

Main Possibilities:

1) Someone has made a statement that you feel the need to address because it is not something you expected to hear and you want to retort to him. 「そういう」=「そう言う」

Woman: 「[謝]{あやま}りなさいよ! (You made a f***in' **** outta me last night, you piece a ****in' ****!)」

l'électeur: 「謝るかっ、ボケ!そういうお前こそオレに謝れ! (You always *********!)」

2) Someone is being a certain way that you do not approve of and you want to make a comment about it. 「そういう」=「そんな」

「(Explanation of how the listener has been to the speaker.) そういうあなたがもういやになってしまったんです。」

3) The positive version of case 2). You like the way someone is or has been and you want to make a comment about it. 「そういう」=「そんな」

「(Explanation of the wonderful things the listener has done to the speaker over the years.) そういう[君]{きみ}を[愛]{あい}している。[結婚]{けっこん}してほしい。」

• Why did you translate '"Apologize!" "Apologize? Hmph! You apologize to me!"' as that mess? My translation is far more accurate and natural, and you can actually say it here without asterisks. – Aeon Akechi Aug 12 '15 at 14:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.