I was recently trying to make an open-ended enumeration of places in a construction that would require the use of a に particle. E.g.:

AやBに行こう

or even:

A[and the like]に行こう

Preferably using a stronger indicator of open-endedness, such as 等 (to me や only has a weak implication of other possibilities, whereas here I want to convey the idea of "places like A [or B]"). But then I realised that the combination of に and 等 did not sound quite right, and even if it was, I had no idea how it would go (Aに等? A等に?)...

Thus my question:

Can 等 (or a suitably similar word for "and the like") ever be used with a に/で construction? (not necessarily just locations... Tools or "means" as well: AやBで行こう)

2 Answers 2

A particle normally follows など.

and are marked as optional (my dictionary puts them in parenthesis).

For tools: フォークやスプーンなど食べる人もいる。 "There are also people who eat it with things like forks and spoons."

For places: 夏休みはXやYなど(に)行きましょうか。"Shall we go to places like X or Y for the summer vacation?"

Interestingly, my dictionary says that if the particles precede など, the sentence is given a derogatory meaning. (, and cannot precede など)

箸でなど食べられない。 "We can't eat with the damned chopsticks."

Alternatively I think you can try:

For places: Xのような場所 "Places like X"

For tools: Xのような道具 "Tools like X"

And by extension: XのようなY "Y like X" for other categories of things you might think of.

ホーク should be フォーク. You are not making the necessary discinction between A, etc. (includes A) and things like A (usually does not include A).
    – user458
    Commented Jul 31, 2011 at 16:32

It is okay to say などに and などで, but they may sound slightly formal nowadays. A more casual way of saying it is using とか: とかに and とかで.

• Thanks for the precision. Are you saying that 等に would sound more formal than just 等 in a sentence?
    – Dave
    Commented Aug 1, 2011 at 7:54
  • @Dave With or without , sounds slightly formal. If you read as 'tou', it is even more formal.
    – user458
    Commented Aug 1, 2011 at 12:42
  • OK. I see what you mean... In that case I am fine with the same level of formality as 等.
    – Dave
    Commented Aug 2, 2011 at 8:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .