I am not sure if the 'あ' being used instead of 'は' or there is a meaning in the word 'そいつあ'.

In addition, is it possible that the 'あ' is a kind of particle or suffix?

• Are you sure it says けっうこ instead of けっこう? – l'électeur Mar 25 '15 at 7:18
  • I'm sorry for the typo. けっこう is correct. Is there any way that I can correct the word in the topic. – George Mar 25 '15 at 7:27

「そいつあ」 is a colloquial pronunciation of 「そいつは」. This is most common among male speakers around Tokyo in their informal speech. It is not something they would use in school or business.  

Particle 「は」 is often pronounced like 「あ」 in other areas as well when combined with certain words in informal situations. For example:

「それは」("That is ~~.") ⇒ 「そりゃあ」 or 「そりゃ」

「たまには」("Once in a while") ⇒ 「たまにゃあ」 or 「たまにゃ」

" is it possible that the 'あ' is a kind of particle or suffix?"

This 「あ」 is not a suffix. It is, in my own words, a cross between the lazy, colloquial pronunciation of 「は = wa」 and a "filler syllable" when one wants to omit a 「は」. This may be a terrible way to describe it but that is what I honestly feel when I use this 「あ」 myself as a Japanese-speaker. I feel I am half-using the particle and half-not-using it at the same time.

Point is everyone will understand what I am saying, which is the only thing that counts in colloquial speech.  

• So してあげない can be interpreted as してはいけない? – BelgianCoder Jun 9 '18 at 11:10

The 'あ' is a kind of intornation of 'は' in Edo, where is now called as Tokyo. It sounds a little old fashioned and very frank situation. Often, I hear it in Rakugo.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.