The girl who just spoke is clearly being a pain in the ass, and after she leaves, one of the boys says this :

1 - オレ憎たらしさには 自信があったが あいつだけはぜったい勝てん。

I was sure I was unpleasant, but it's nothing compared to her.

I'm used to see 勝てる used with に, which here is replaced by だけ which confuses me a bit.

It doesn't seem to mean "only her", or maybe in the sense "I'm still more unpleasant than anyone, except her"?

The thing is the contrastive は combined with に seems to have this meaning already, "I can't win against him VS I can't win against him (though I would win against others)"

in this question : sometimes だけ gets mildly confusing.. someone suggests that in example 2, だけ is juste used to stress は.

2 - それだけは、食べないでください。 "Please don't eat that. (Eat anything else.)"

Long story short, what would be the difference in example 1 if だけは was replaced by the following (my guesses on the right)

に - Just a simple relation : I'm nothing compared to her.

は - Same as には but with a casual drop of the に as in 僕(に)は自信がある

には - Contrast : I'm nothing compared to her (though compared to ohers...)

だけ - Stressed version of に with a casual drop of に : I'm nothing compared to her (and her only, don't know about the others)

だけは - Stressed version of には with a casual drop of に : I'm nothing compared to her (and her only, though compared to others...)

だけに - Plain version of だけ

だけには - Plain version of だけは

All the versions without は dont feel right to me in a negative sentence.

• @naruto Oh yeah thanks, it makes a lot more sense :) – Alox Mar 23 '15 at 14:11

「オレ[憎]{にく}たらしさには [自身]{じしん}があった あいつだけはぜったい[勝]{か}てん。」

First off, this sentence is highly colloquial and the speaker omits a couple of particles. That may be causing part of your confusion. The conjunction 「が」 in the middle is actually a key word here that would help one understand the last half of the sentence.

"I had confidence in my own 憎たらしさ, but ~~~~~~~~."

「あいつ」 must be worse than the speaker in the degree of 憎たらしさ, n'est-ce pas? Otherwise, 「が」 would not have been used.

In this context (and not elsewhere),

「あいつだけは」=「あいつだけには」=「あいつにだけは

「に」 is clearly being omitted as we say 「~~勝つ/勝たない/勝てない」

"I was confident in my own wickedness, but there is no way I could beat her in that department."

Finally, here is what I would think if you replaced 「だけは」 with the following words.

「に」: Not natural. Needs 「は」 or 「だけ」 as well.

「は」: Possible.

「には」: Very natural.

「だけ」: Possible if not very natural.

「だけは」: Pretty natural.

「だけに」:Possible and slightly more natural than 「だけ」.

「だけには」: Excellent choice.

• So, what nuance does だけには have compared to には in this context if both are very natural? Is it the "no way" part of your translation IE stressing the negation? – Alox Mar 23 '15 at 14:08
  • By using だけ as well, it emphasizes the exceptionalness of the woman's 憎たらしさ more than it does when only には is used. And yes, I used "no way" for that purpose. 「だけには」 expresses that the speaker could beat anybody else but her in the 憎たらしさ department.. – l'électeur Mar 23 '15 at 21:09
  • Merci, une fois de plus, pour cette réponse détaillée : ) – Alox Mar 24 '15 at 11:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.