I assume it's always a (vs)noun, so 開始三秒 must be a noun composed of 開始{かいし} and 三秒{さんびょう}? If that is true, does it mean "before 3 seconds have elapsed?" (it would seem so from the context), but given that 開始 usually means something to do with beginnings I am probably wrong. This came up in this sentence:

二度寝{にどね}の誘惑{ゆうわく}を開始三秒でノックアウトして、姿見{すがたみ}の前で軽く全身をチェック。

As I understand it so far: "Within 3 seconds / before 3 seconds have elapsed [?] I beat the temptation to go back to bed again. I then check on my body in the mirror [without too much fuss]."

お助けください

• How do you use "(vs)noun"? What are you saying is always "a (vs)noun"? – Earthliŋ Mar 17 '15 at 22:47
    I think "vs" is EDICT's abbreviation for something like "verb (suru)", so I guess the OP is saying that they assume 開始 is a verbal noun (that is, a noun which readily appears in construction with する). – snailcar Mar 17 '15 at 23:18

「開始三秒」, in this particular context, means "three seconds into the match".

Why "match"? Because the author is using a metaphor in likening resisting one's temptation to go back to bed to a boxing match. The person "won" the match in just three seconds into it.

Your TL shows you have got the gist of the sentence.

Just a speaker and no expert on the grammar of this, but 開始三秒【かいしさんびょう】 means "Three seconds after it started/Three seconds in", so your translation wasn't far from that.

I've always assumed it's just a modern way of shortening 「開始【かいし】してから三秒【さんびょう】」.

• Not sure what is "modern" about the expression. – l'électeur Mar 17 '15 at 23:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.