I read in a Japanese tale (kachikachi yama) :

An old man (a peasant) is happy since he just catched a tanuki and says to his wife :

「それじゃ ちょっくら まちへ かいものに いってくるから たぬきが にげださんように きをつけておくれ。」

translation from Tom Ray and Sachiko Matsubara :

"I will go to the town for a little while to shop and return please be careful that the raccoon does not run away."

ちょっくら is analysed as ちょっと (a "country form").

I analyse にげださんように as 逃げる【にげる】(run away) + ださん + ように. I don't understand ださん (or maybe たさん ?) : is this a verbal form ? I read here that : "ださん = do not begin" .

Any help would be appreciated !

「[逃]{に}げ[出]{だ}さ」=「逃げ出さない」 = "not run away"

「ん」 is a negation auxiliary verb. The dictionary form is 「ぬ」.

See ぬ[助動] in https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%81%AC-593884#E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.9E.97.20.E7.AC.AC.E4.B8.89.E7.89.88

「~~ように」 means "so that ~~".

「たぬきが逃げ出さんように」 = "so that the racoon will not run away".

• Thank you very much. May I ask you if 逃げ出さないように exist ? – suizokukan Mar 17 '15 at 14:36
    Yes, it does. Historically, ぬ/ん is just older than ない. – l'électeur Mar 17 '15 at 14:53
  • Thank you. Reïko Shimamori (Grammaire japonaise systématique, II.156) explains exactly what you said and adds that "-n is often used in the West side of the Japanese archipelago". – suizokukan Mar 17 '15 at 21:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.