Can someone please help me translate this kanji? I saw it on a tattoo and would like to know what it means. Thank you so very much in advance!

enter image description here

closed as off-topic by virmaior, blutorange, ssb, snailcar Mar 17 '15 at 8:46

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service. See: We don't do translations." – virmaior, blutorange, ssb, snailcar
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• It's this character 然. It means nature or spontaneity. – virmaior Mar 17 '15 at 4:21

According to a Kanji dictionary 然 have two meanings.

1. しかり、ただしい。肯定・是認の意を表す。
  2. ある状態にある。その状態である意を表す。

First meaning is "right", or "correct". The second meaning is "something is at some status".

In practical Japanese language, you usually don't use 然 alone, but you usually use with combination of other Kanji. Here is some examples.自然(nature, naturally), 必然(necessary), 偶然(contingency), 漠然(abstract, ambiguous).

As you might notice, 然 only have abstract meaning, and the meaning can be change a lot depending on the conbination of other Kanji.

• I think you meant to say 'coincidence' for 偶然。 (contingence works as a translation but is a rare word in modern English.) – oals Mar 18 '15 at 13:24
  • @oals Right. I meant 'coincidence'. Thanks for pointing out. – Takashi Mar 19 '15 at 1:45

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.