In a telephone register, 万寿一 was behind a surname. What does 万寿一 mean when written behind a surname?

And second, I came across this sentence.

つうさんのこと未だ引きずって、マイナス思考が激しいね。

What does つうさん mean? Is 'tsu' a syllable (mora) and is san a suffix in this case?

• Without context, I have to assume つうさん is 通算, meaning total. – Eric Mar 13 '15 at 19:50
  • I can't say for sure, but 万寿一 seems a given name ますいち. – marasai Mar 14 '15 at 0:00
  • Is the sentence with つうさん supposed to be from the telephone register as well, or is it from somewhere else? – blutorange Mar 14 '15 at 9:49

「万寿一」 should be a given name if it was placed behind a surname.

It would be read 「ますいち」 and the characters mean literally "10,000 - felicitations - one". It is not a regular word, so it does not really have a clear meaning.

Regarding the reading, it may actually turn out to be totally different. That is because the Japanese civil laws allow kanji used in a baby name to be read anyway you want when you register it.

Onto 「つうさん」...

Without context, It is just impossible to tell what it means. There is the word [通算]{つうさん} meaning "final aggregate" but that is not the kind of word one would write in hiragana.

It is possible that it is a nickname. In any case, you would need to provide the context.

EDIT: Now that we have some context and it sure would be someone's nickname. Many nicknames include さん、ちゃん、くん, etc at the end.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.