From Japanesepod101:

象は灰色をしている。

The elephant is gray.

The meaning of the sentence is not in doubt but I've been trying to figure how する is being used here. Checking a dictionary, definition 2エ might be applicable here.

ある状態・性質であることを示す。(To show something's state/nature)

• Maybe I should be asking a new question, but native speakers: how natural do you found this sentence compared to 象は灰色だ? I find 灰色をしている unnatural unless the 灰色 is modified, as in 像は綺麗な灰色をしていた. – dainichi Mar 16 '15 at 1:17

It is exactly as you say.

「~~をする」 can mean "to have ~~ (as a natural characteristic)" and it is usually used in the form 「~~をしている」,「~~をしていた」 or 「~~をした」.

The "dictionary" form 「~~をする」 would not be used in a real-life situation; It is only found in dictionaries or a place like this where grammar or vocabulary is discussed.

Among those forms, 「~~をした」 is always followed immediately by a noun or noun phrase. You cannot end a sentence with 「~~をした」 when 「する」 is used for the meaning we are discussing. That is to say:

Always use 「している」 for the present tense and always use 「していた」 for the past.

している:「スミ子さんはきれいな[目]{め}をしている。」= "Sumiko has beautiful eyes."

していた:「[犯人]{はんにん}は[青]{あお}い目をしていた。」= "The culprit had blue eyes."

した:「[赤]{あか}い[髪]{かみ}をした[人]{ひと}が[好]{す}きです。」= "I like redheads." Or more literally, "I like people who have read hair." 

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.