How many Jōyō Kanji are identical to simplified Hanzi?

If we need to define a restriction for the simplified Hanzi, I would suggest List of Frequently Used Characters in Modern Chinese.

Originally, I was thinking to upvote this, but there's a very important qualification I think the question needs. Can you tell us what you mean by "identical"? Specifically, do you mean (a) same number of strokes or (b) same strokes from a technical standpoint, (c) would look the same if written by native writers of each language, or (d) are unicode identical? or ... – virmaior Mar 13 '15 at 5:37
  • Just to make sure I know what I want, can you clarify what you mean by (b)? – coyote Mar 13 '15 at 6:14
    I don't know simplified Hanzi, but to give an example look here: moji.tekkai.com/zoom/%E7%B6%9A/page.html . The 教科書体 and the 楷書体 would be "identical" under (a) but not (b), (c), and (d). Stoke order seems to differ widely between languages and users for 必 (so we get some (a) and (c) and (d)). 判 is written with the top two strokes either like 八 or ソ -- but that would be (a), (b), and (d) in many cases. See moji.tekkai.com/zoom/%E5%88%A4/page.html – virmaior Mar 13 '15 at 9:24

Since I have no knowledge of the subject, I am quoting from an academic paper:

日本・中国・台湾・香港の基礎漢字1945字字体一覧表の作成に向けて (香港中文大学日本研究学科、Senior Instructor、兒島慶治)

According to the author of this paper, the number is 1,165. (See page 4.)

Note that there were 1,945 [常用漢字]{じょうようかんじ} when this paper was written. Currently, that number has increased to 2,136.

So, the current number you are looking for would be a little over 1,165.

Also, this number from the paper includes minor differences as well. The paper notes (page 5):

更に極論すれば、例えば日中間で字体が異なるとされた約40%の漢字の中にも、「为(為)、异(異)、伟(偉)、卫(衛)、杰(傑)、洁(潔)、听(聴)」のように字体の差異が顕著なものと、「低(低)、唐(唐)、德(徳)、毒(毒)、肺(肺)、反(反)、鼻(鼻)、隆(隆)」のようにかなり微妙な差のものが含まれている。

(See also: screenshot of the above quote from the paper)

On page 6, the paper estimates that about 170 of the characters that are different only display minor differences. It also notes that "minor difference" is not a clearly defined objective term:

まだ全体的な整理を終えていない中間的な整理状況ではあるが、日中間での字体が異なるとされた771字中、168字(約22%)の字体差の低い字種があると言える。この整理においては、“糸”編の簡略は字体差が低いと見て数えたが、“言”・“金”・“魚”・“貝”編等は字体差がかなりあるとして、168字には整理しなかった為に、今後の整理如何によっては、更に字体差が低いと部類分けられる字種が増えるものと思う。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.