The 兼 character appears next to some people's names in the organizational chart of the company I work at, as shown below.

田中 太郎 (兼)

What meaning does the 兼 character signify in this context?

• Should mean, that he 'too'/'also' is something. Is there something like a job description in before? – dinogeist Mar 12 '15 at 8:55

兼 in a labor chart means the person is 兼任 -- as in their official job is different, but this is being made one of their assignments as well.

For instance, I work for the 国際課 at my university, but I'm a 兼 assigned to teach an English class for the English department.

Do you mean to say 兼任? 兼業 often involves two whole different industries. – l'électeur Mar 12 '15 at 9:56
    @l'électeur No, I'm just genuinely wrong. I had an issue earlier where my school was claiming it would be 兼業 for me to do a 講義 at a different school... Apparently, I have yet to master the usage. (But mistakes are how we learn!!!) – virmaior Mar 12 '15 at 10:05
    That would be a hard one to name. 兼業 is like a double-job situation and is perhaps most often used to describe a farmer who also does a completely different type of job besides farming. – l'électeur Mar 12 '15 at 11:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.