The simplest things seem to be the hardest.

I am exercising the "does not have to be" structure.

If I want to say "the book does not have to be expensive", it is (may be?):

本は高くなくてもいいです。

But how do I say "the book does not have to be expensive and big"?

I asked this in chat and got a kind answer from Xeo.

Xeo, thank you for your help and I hope I may quote you here:

@saidy afaik, you generally connect adjectives with the て-form. So I'd wager it works here, too: 「本は高くなくて大きくなくてもいいです。」

I may be totally wrong, though. Better wait until one of the gurus answer this :)

Is this the correct way to connect adjectives in this case?

Thank you for reading this far. Any help is appreciated.

• Yes, that is correct and beautiful Japanese. the -て form is very flexible and can be used to connect adjectives as you have there. When you are connecting verbs with successive -て forms then it adds a sense of "sequence." Just as a learner's note (= – sova Mar 12 '15 at 8:42

No, the answer you got in chat is not quite right.

「[本]{ほん}は[高]{たか}くなくて[大]{おお}きくなくていいです。」

You would need to use 「も」 twice to make it grammatical. You could say:

「本は高くなくて、大きくなくていいです。」

The sentence is grammatical now, but it just does not sound very natural. As a Japanese-speaker, I could not imagine someone saying this sentence in real life. If it were a catch copy in advertisement (perhaps for e-books), it would sound pretty natural.

You could also say something like:

「本は高い[必要]{ひつよう}なければ、大きい必要ありません。」

Either way, you would need to use 「も」 twice. It is as though you would need to use "n" twice in saying "neither A nor B".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.