In Spanish, you can use the "Ha, Heh, Hee, Ho" method for learning Spanish vowels.

For example, A in Spanish sounds like the 'a' in Ha!

E in Spanish sounds like the 'e' in Heh!

I in Spanish sounds like the 'ee' in Hee!

O in Spanish sounds like the 'o' in Ho!

and then U is like the OO in food.

Does this apply to Japanese vowels as well? I have listened to Japanese vowels and they sound identical. But I thought I should double check, so I don't learn them wrongly.

• え ('e') sounds more like 'ey' from 'hey', to me. (Disclaimer: Not a native speaker.) – Eric Mar 10 '15 at 19:21
  • No, they aren't identical, but you'll get in the ballpark at least. – snailboat Mar 10 '15 at 23:06
  • Most notably, unlike the Spanish <u> the Japanese <u> vowel is unrounded. – jogloran Mar 11 '15 at 3:21
  • [u] is still rounded in most western Japan dialects. – user4092 Mar 11 '15 at 7:28

Unless you put stress on them, it works as well. (You may find "U" a little different in New Tokyo dialect, which is a virtual standard, but that's beyond the category of Standard Japanese.) If you put stress on a vowel, it's prolonged and includes pitch shift, which is taken as sequence of two sounds to ears of a Japanese speaker.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.