A definition of 辛気臭い【しんきくさい】 (三省堂):

思うようにならず、いらいらするさま。また、気がめいるさま

Nara often implies something happening naturally, zu stands for 'without', so does the whole compound adverb stand for 'subconsciously'? 'without thinking'?

Hello! Welcome to Japanese.SE! Please ask one question per question. I've edited out your second question; you can post it separately. – snailboat Mar 10 '15 at 14:12

Directly answering to you,

Nara often implies something happening naturally, zu stands for 'without', so does the whole compound adverb stand for 'subconsciously'? 'without thinking'?

No. First of all, Nara is 動詞/どうし, a verb. But in terms of your "something happening naturally" is correct, since we call this naruなる 無意識動詞(むいしきどうし), literally translated "a verb without own consciousness"

Second, zu does not denote "without", but http://www.geocities.jp/nm3032nakatsu/koten/kt04.html

ず ①~ない (打ち消し) ( around the middle of the linked page )

but denotes the "denial" ( and which is an auxiliary ), in you case, denying the above verb "naru/なる”.

Grammar : 思うようにならない。=思う(連体形(れんたいけい), in English to think + よう(様)に an auxiliary, 連用形(れんようけい), in English "as I expect" + なら the verb, 連用形(れんようけい), in English ( to become ) + ない。the auxiliary, 終止形(しゅうしけい), in English, denying the former verb/auxiliary/adjective verb, etc.

So the whole meaning is "Not having gone as I had expected".

Thank you.

This means something like 思うようにならない、(そして)いらいらする様子。
ならず is a different form of the negation. You can get more detailed information here: What is the difference between the negative forms -ず and -ぬ?

A wild grammatical construction appears!

思うようにならず, ~~ is the same as saying 思うようにならないで, ~~

行かず = 行かないで

ご飯を食べず, 寝ました (Went to bed without eating dinner)

If something was 思うようになる then it would be "conceivable"

so 思うようにならないで, ~ is something like "inconceivably" or "does not even lend to imagining" perhaps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.