I am reading Hunter x Hunter, and the two protagonists (friends, and kids) are given cards that they are not supposed to reveal for the duration of the game. They start talking and they exchange a bit of information and then this is said :

bubble

せーので見せっこするか?

Then, they proceed to show their cards at the same time (saying せーの).

I understand that one asks the other to show the card but I am unsure as to what is this form (is it a contraction of sorts?). Does it comes with a particular nuance?

Thanks!

「[連用形]{れんようけい} of a verb + (small っ) + こ」 = "performing the same action to/for/with one another"

「見せ」 is the 連用形 of the verb 「見せる = "to show"」.

「こ」 is a suffix that sort of functions as a nominalizer while giving the verb a meaning of doing the same thing among two or more persons as a competition, game or just fun.

See こ[接尾]1 in : https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%81%93-493368#E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.9E.97.20.E7.AC.AC.E4.B8.89.E7.89.88

"Show me yours and I'll show you mine."

• Is this related to ごっこ? – Kimball Mar 10 '15 at 17:27
  • That's not sure. However, ごっこ is often said to be a phonic change from こと(事), while っこ mentioned above is っ子. – user4092 Mar 11 '15 at 7:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.