I somehow managed to get a MEXT scholarship. Now I've got to make a self-presentation, but I've been struggling with it since I'm more used to reading than writing (which is one reason I could get this scholarship - the tests had no essay or whatever)

In this self-presentation I need to tell my name, the university I graduated and the academic degree, the Japanese university I'm enrolling, field of study and research theme.

I started writing but somehow it felt unnatural, maybe too simple, or maybe out-of-context. So far, it goes like:

はじめまして。 ジョン・スミスと申します{もうします}。

OK so far, a simple introduction and stating my name.

私{わたし}は去年{きょねん}Foo大学の{だいがく} 〇〇 学部{がくぶ}を卒業{そつぎょう}しました。

Not sure how to say "I graduated in X".

Bar大学{だいがく}で勉強{べんきょう}して修士{しゅうし}を取る{とる}つもりです。 

I want to say I want to go for the Master's program of the university. Should I use 研究{けんきゅう} instead of 勉強{べんきょう}? I'll be a research student anyway if I fail the exam to enter the Master's program.

専攻分野{せんこうぶんや}は〇〇です。

I'm in doubt whether to use 専攻分野{せんこうぶんや} or 専門分野{せんもんぶんや}. I know there is something crucial that differs these two but I wasn't able to fully understand.

研究課題{けんきゅうかだい}は△◇です。 [And then some explanation about the research subject]

どうぞよろしくお願いします{おねがいします}。

This self-presentation should not take more than 2 minutes, but it looks like it won't take even one. Maybe I was too direct? Maybe should I tell something else about myself before finishing?

• I had one of those. You have to introduce yourself at the embassy or consulate or something? – virmaior Mar 10 '15 at 4:58

Not sure if you are expected to write like a native speaker in this assignment, but "as a native speaker" is the only way I could correct your writing.

First off, I would surely drop 「私は」. Everyone who reads this will know exactly who you are talking about.

I would use 「[昨年]{さくねん}」 instead of 「去年」 as the latter would sound slightly too informal or conversational.

I might change the plain 「しました」 to the humble 「いたしました」. I used "might" because this is what I meant in my first sentence above. I just do not know how "native-speaker-like" you are expected to sound.

「修士」 is barely O.K. but 「修士[号]{ごう}」 will sound better because, strictly speaking, the former refers to the person and the latter, the degree.

「つもりです」 is conversational. I would recommend 「[予定]{よてい}です」.

「専攻分野」 > 「専門分野」 Use the latter and you will sound like you are already an established professional in that field (rather than a grad student). I may be being too picky here, though.

Again, 「いたします」 > 「します」 at the end.

As a non-native speaker and/but an academic in Japan, I want to reiterate that 専攻 is the appropriate term for undergraduate level. It's rude and arrogant (or rude because it is arrogant) to use 専門 about your undergraduate study. – virmaior Mar 10 '15 at 12:49
    In terms of 予定です though, the 文部科学省奨学金 does not guarantee that the OP is going to be in a master's program. So I'm not sure if 予定 is the right expression (though I look forward to learning whether you can use it for things you hope rather than have a certainty about). – virmaior Mar 10 '15 at 12:50
  • I am very grateful for l'électeur's answer and virmaior's remarks. I hope this answer can be useful to others. – walljam7 Mar 10 '15 at 22:11

This introduction sounds fine. As self-introduction for university/work, it is common in Japan to talk about personal stuff like your hobbies, your family ...etc so maybe you can add this.

For some of your questions :

"I graduated in X" > X年に卒業しました

"I want to go for the master program" > 今後の勉強(活動)としてBar大学の修士課程を目指しています

専攻分野 is more specifc for field of study, 専門分野 is specilizaiton in a more general way

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.