A sentence from Japanesepod101, with the official translation.

赤のブドウも緑のブドウもよく搾{しぼ}るとワインやジュースになります。
Both red and green grapes are good squeezed and turned into wine or juice.

Their translation of よく as good (i.e. the grapes good for being squeezed) doesn't seem right. To me よく should be referring to 搾る (i.e. if the grapes are well/properly squeezed, they become wine or juice). Here I have interpreted the と as "if/when". Was my interpretation correct?

よく can only reference 搾る, because the adjective precedes the verb. In English, the adjective must be translated as well. The inaccurate English translation may occlude your understanding.
The present (or: non-past) tense, here of the verb 搾る, together with the particle do indeed express a conditional relationship (if).

• Thanks. I suppose due to the conditional relationship (と), よく also cannot mean "often" in this sentence? – Viridian Mar 7 '15 at 14:45
  • I don't believe there's such a connection. – Thomas Gross Mar 7 '15 at 17:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.