I found it twice. First in a song:

いつもその本はハッピーエンドじゃないの。

And then the title of a manga:

遊びじゃないの。

じゃない alone is for negation (no happy end, no playing). What I can't understand is the の at the end of the sentence... what does it stand for?

Is ending question sentences with の really feminine?

の(だ)/のです with a rising tone are the abbreviations of の(だ)か/のですか。

(The combination だか isn't really used in everyday life to the best of my knowledge).

They turn the sentence into a question which, combined with じゃない make it a tag question, as you can see in the links I posted in my comments.

遊びじゃない? 遊びじゃないか。 遊びじゃないの(か)?

It's a game isn't it? It's a game right? You're playing aren't you?

Without the rising tone (or か), じゃない is used to deny what precedes it. の/のだ/のです have many different meanings (look it up on this site), the most common ones being adding an explanatory and/or exclamative tone to the sentence.

遊びじゃないの(だ)。遊びじゃないのです。

It's not a game. It' not a game! (What the hell are you doing, ) it's not a game! (I can't believe you take it so lightly, ) it's not a game (you know?).

The sentences in の are often used to answer the implicit question "What is happening?" : "Well, what's happening is..."

誰かが来た? (Gathering information after coming home).

Someone came?

誰かが来たの? (Seeing 2 cups of coffee on the table).

(What happened,) someone came?

I don't feel comfortable enough with those grammar to go further into details, I would advise you to look for informations about the differences between だ/です VS の(だ)/のです and (だ)か/ですか VS の(だ)か/のですか.

EDIT : Just to be clear, here are the different forms :

Simple         Abbreviated         Using の         Abbreviated using の

猫だ。          猫。               猫なのだ。         猫なの。

猫です。                         猫なのです。       

猫()か。       猫だ?/猫?         猫なの()か。      猫なのだ?/猫なの?

猫ですか。                        猫なのですか。      猫なのです?

• Just to see if I got it right (there are too many cases!) いつもその本はハッピーエンドじゃないの。 could be translated in something like: 'those books always have a happy ending, haven't they?' or 'those books always have a happy ending, you know?'. Is it correct? – Clover Mar 6 '15 at 16:22
  • I think so yeah, or "His/her books always..." if you were talking about an author I guess. – Alox Mar 6 '15 at 16:27
    だか is used, but only in subordinate clauses. – snailcar Mar 6 '15 at 19:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.