I had some questions about the verb 'to be'. I know you have the copula 「だ」 and 「いる」and「ある」. However, the copula does not have all the conjugations, so how would you express something like 'can be' or 'make be'(like in: 'I made him happy'). And use expressions like 「なければならない」would you form something like 「じゃなければならない」? Or the expression 「~たい」(Like in: 'I want to be happy'). I don't really know. I suggest maybe using 「である」. But I know that's really like literary language. Also how would you say all this with i-adjectives?

Well, Thank you, in advance.

Your question seems a little too broad to answer to, but some examples:

• I want to be happy. -- [私]{わたし}は[幸]{しあわ}せになりたい。 [ 〜に-なる ]
  • I can be happy. -- 私は幸せになれる。 [ なれる (potential form of なる) ]
  • I made him happy. -- 私は[彼]{かれ}を幸せにした。 [ ~に-する ]
  • He has to be happy. -- 彼は幸せでなければならない。[ ~なければならない ]
  • He should be happy. -- 彼は幸せであるべきだ。[ ~べき-だ ]
  • He must be happy. (assuming) -- 彼は幸せにちがいない。[ ~に-ちがいない ]
  • He may be happy. (possibility) -- 彼は幸せかもしれない。[ ~かもしれない ]

of course there can be other translations though.

I picked a key expression (verb or auxiliary phrase) from each sentence into bracket. Recommend you should look them up in textbooks / dictionaries. Could this be of any help?

• Yorokobaseta sounds more like "I made him happy" to me. Shiawase ni shita is like "set him to happy mode" which is probably good. Adding some examples for the ending ~saseru might be good for this question. – sova Mar 8 '15 at 5:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.