I've seen the verb 給え【たまえ】, usually written in hiragana and after the stem of another verb, ending a prhase. I'm not too sure on its meaning.

I've read that it means "...please" but is that the only meaning? Also is it used in conversations and if so when/how should I use it?

• Something like 読んでくれ給え ? I've always known it as "please", but talking down a level or two. In pop culture you'd here it being said to someone's subordinates. – kiss-o-matic Mar 3 '15 at 13:29

Not-so-young native speaker here. I personally have never used 「verb + たまえ」 myself or had another person say something to me using that structure.

The only places that I have actually heard it used have been:

1. Fiction (films, dramas, plays, novels, etc.) and

2. Religious sermons

In fiction, adult male speakers sometimes use 「verb + たまえ」 as a somewhat friendly imperative with younger colleagues. In real life, however, I have never met such a male boss or co-worker in the companies I have worked for.

In religious sermons and prayers, 「verb + たまえ」 is quite often used when asking for blessings from above.

It's the imperative of the now-very-archaic verb 給ふ 'bestow'. Historically it was used a lot like 下さい is now, but it's very much fallen out of use except for for dramatic effect. – Sjiveru Mar 3 '15 at 18:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.