On the weather app on my phone, the word 体感温度 has a ® next to it. Here's a screenshot:

Japanese Screen

And here's the corresponding shot in English:

enter image description here

Am I correct in believing that what is really trademarked is just the English "REALFEEL", and not the Japanese? If so, why keep the ® in the Japanese (and presumably other languages') translation?

closed as off-topic by ssb, Dono, cypher, Earthliŋ, senshin Mar 4 '15 at 21:30

• This question does not appear to be about the Japanese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with the language (only with poor localisation efforts). Unless you have elements showing otherwise, I think this should be closed... – Dave Mar 3 '15 at 6:53
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because I agree with diamond dave that this is about localization and technology more than it is about Japanese – ssb Mar 4 '15 at 4:23

It is most likely a coding mistake. When products are internationalized, strings in the code are changed depending on the locale of the user. In this case, their template is something like

"%s\u00AE:"

where %s is the localized string. \u00AE is ®. They obviously haven't filed a trademark on 体感温度, but rather some formula they use that is different from actual windchill/heat index, which they named RealFeel in English.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.