On the weather app on my phone, the word 体感温度 has a ® next to it. Here's a screenshot:

Japanese Screen

And here's the corresponding shot in English:

enter image description here

Am I correct in believing that what is really trademarked is just the English "REALFEEL", and not the Japanese? If so, why keep the ® in the Japanese (and presumably other languages') translation?

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with the language (only with poor localisation efforts). Unless you have elements showing otherwise, I think this should be closed... – Dave Mar 3 '15 at 6:53
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because I agree with diamond dave that this is about localization and technology more than it is about Japanese – ssb Mar 4 '15 at 4:23

It is most likely a coding mistake. When products are internationalized, strings in the code are changed depending on the locale of the user. In this case, their template is something like

"%s\u00AE:"

where %s is the localized string. \u00AE is ®. They obviously haven't filed a trademark on 体感温度, but rather some formula they use that is different from actual windchill/heat index, which they named RealFeel in English.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.