Recently I have received the e-mail from レコチョク online music store - and the is the title 今日のイチオシ. It translates as "Today's choices". But abbreviation (?) at the end ~オシ I can't understand/translate.. And also the name itself of the shop レコチョク is not very clear to me - the part ~チョク. Maybe it is also some abbreviation?

「オシ」 comes from the verb 「[推]{お}す」, which means "to recommend". You may already know the word 「[推薦]{すいせん}する」, which means the same. Notice the same kanji is used in both.

「イチ」, of course, means 「[一番]{いちばん}」. Thus, 「イチオシ」 is a colloquial (kind of slangy but not too much) word meaning "one's best recommendation".

Finally, 「チョク」 in 「レコチョク」 is 「[直]{ちょく}」 in kanji. It means "direct".

According to Wikipedia, the company was named レコチョク because it is directly funded by the record companies -- 「レコード[会社直営]{がいしゃちょくえい}」. It took the 「レコ」 and「直」 parts and put them together.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B3%E3%83%81%E3%83%A7%E3%82%AF

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.