What does 形から入る mean? What contexts may it be used in? I can't find the phrase in my dictionary.

I ran across this in an anime. Transcription of the relevant parts:

[麻]{ま}[音]{おん}の父さん 「本当にこの子は『漫画家になりたい』言うたり、『ぬいぐるみの中に入る人になりたい』言うたり、あれはいつだったかな」

麻音の母さん 「小3の時ですよ、突然…手品師になるからシルクハットとタキシードを買えって言って」

父さん 「そうだった!とりあえずこの子は[形]{かたち}から[入る]{はいる}からな」

麻音の友だち1 「ははは…なにそれ?」

麻音の友だち2 「夢、変わりすぎ!」

父さん 「まあ、何でもいい。自分で選んだ道だな。麻音が自分自身のなりたいものになればいい」

Translation attempt:

'Really, this girl used to say things such as "I want to become a mangaka", "I want to become someone who is inside stuffed animals"... when was that again?'

'When she was in third grade. She just suddenly demanded a silk hat and a tuxedo because she wanted to become a magician.'

'That's right. Anyway, she ???'

'[laughter] What on earth?'

'Your dreams [of future] are too strange!'

'Well, anything works for us, if it's a path she's taken by herself. She may become anything she wants to.'

I found it in the Denshi Jisho (Beta) dictionary. It's defined as "Mimicking actions of other people (often not understanding the meaning, importance, etc.)." (Direct link to definition here.) – beakr Feb 23 '15 at 1:11

Good question. The phrase would drive me up the wall if I were a Japanese learner, too.

「[形]{かたち}」 here means "appearance". What that ultimately means is "outfit".

「[入]{はい}る」 here means "to start (learning something new)".

I am sure small bilingual dictionaries could be useless with these two in this particular context.

「形から入る」 means "Someone (always) starts with the outfit (when taking interest in a new field)."

Fashion over practical training, sorta.

• Is the phrase used outside the context of starting with new things? – oals Feb 22 '15 at 14:30

You can practice magic if you have cards. A silk hat and a tuxedo are nothing do with magic. You only need them on stage.
So, 「形から入る」 means, buy a complete suite, or more than necessity, before training. If you give up, it's a waste.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.