I'm kinda new to this site so I'm not entirely sure how the format works.

In the sentence below, which I'm assuming I translated correctly as "When I was in high school, I studied often":

高校のころ、僕は勉強した。

some people tend to add に after ころ when I looked it up. Is it necessary and is it wrong to have/not have the に particle in the sentence? I'm fairly certain that the に particle is used for destination/certain time reference among other things but I don't see why it's more common to not have it at the end of ころ while some people actually do

Also, I didn't know if I can include a separate question since I didn't really want to make a whole new thread for it but is it wrong if I were to say「高校でいるのころ」 instead of 「高校のころ」 to be more specific?

• One thought: に is a lot more than just a particle for "destination" or for "certain time reference" so don't use that to define all of its sues. – virmaior Feb 20 '15 at 4:15
    Second thought: it would be wrong to say 「高校でいるころ」. Because you don't use の to connect verbs used to describe nouns. (連体) – virmaior Feb 20 '15 at 4:16
  • Either will do, having or not having に. – user4092 Feb 20 '15 at 15:32
  • so that means that 高校でいていた頃 would be a fine translation? – cpnrxn Feb 20 '15 at 20:29

For the translation, I would say

高校のころ、僕はよく勉強していた。 (spoken)

僕が高校生だった頃はよく勉強していた。 (written)

• You usually use 高校のころ when you're speaking.
  • よく勉強していた: Here, よく勉強する means study often, 勉強 has a duration so していた is better.
  • After 頃 , you usually use は or nothing.

You can use 頃に when you want to insist on the time context. Like:

あの頃にあなたに会った。 (It's あの頃 that I met you)

or when it's the destination.

あの頃に戻りたい。 (I want to go back to あの頃)

• totally forgot to add the よく there lol. I didn't know there was such a large difference between spoken and written sentences. This language just got a whole lot harder haha. It makes sense now thanks – cpnrxn Feb 20 '15 at 17:32
  • The last part is kinda irrelevant. – l'électeur Feb 21 '15 at 0:19
    Which part do you mean? – Runo Sahara Feb 21 '15 at 0:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.